Tuesday, May 16, 2006

I swear, they had us surrounded

A few weeks ago I took some time off to head 300+ miles away into the SE desert of Oregon to do some charitable work. I was volunteering my time to a local rancher there, Herb, that is an acquaintance of my step dad Buckles. It seems that the practice of farming alfalfa, oats, etc provides a huge surplus of food for the native sage rat population (similar to prairie dogs). Which in turn alters what would be the natural population to surge and become so large that the native predators can’t keep the sage rats in check.

That is where a professional such as myself comes in. Many ranchers there welcome varmint hunters to come and help try to control the population of sage rats by shooting as many of them as possible. I spent the better part of two days perched on the back of a pickup waging war on the little bastards. 3000 rounds of ammunition later I barely made a dent in the field I was shooting in.

Load: 2500+ Sage Rats: 0

I also made it home from Hines, OR to my house in 4 hr 40 min. Mapquest.com says it takes 5 hr 48 min. I’m surprised my car didn’t explode.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

counter