Monday, October 10, 2005

What is the world coming to?




I received the following from the wife today via email:

----------

So I am calling the Pet Loft, a pet supply store on SW Macadam and this guy answers.

“Hello, I saw these pet beds in your store the other day. They are supposed to be environmentally friendly, made out of recycled fleece, and 100% washable, can you tell me the brand name and the cost for a large?” Then I notice that it sounds like this guy is on the street on a cell phone.

He answers, “what? a pet bed? You are looking for a pet bed?”

“Yes,”

“Where are you located?” he asks.

“Well I’m in SW, aren’t you in John’s Landing?”

“No, but a really great place for a pet bed is Critter Beds, in Tualatin, if you don’t mind the drive.”

Confused, I ask, “Don’t you have pet beds in your store? I saw some the other day.”

“I don’t have a store, I am just the wrong number you dialed, but Critter Beds is a great place for pet beds. They are in Tualatin and were featured at last years Pet Expo.”

“Oh, I dialed the wrong number…… and you are just being nice?”

“Basically yes, but I would try Critter Beds, they really are great.”

---------
Now this makes el Load wonder, what compelled this guy to help out. Was he distracted and answered because he had and answer? Was he a generally nice and a genuine human being? By some magical circumstance be the owner of said store? Possibly he is some sort phone hacker that intercepts calls to other pet stores and routes the calls to him in order to direct business to his store? It's possible that he made, what could have been the most satisfying purchase of his life, at that store and this was one more opportunity to spread the word about it like a reborned heroin addict preaching Jesus on a street corner.

This level of helpfulness that should be normal human behavior, being devoid malice and disgust towards strangers, especially one who is burning cell minutes is down right perplexing. Where are the good old days when people said in their snottiest tone “Wrong Number!” and hung up the phone?

1 Comments:

At 8:07 PM, October 11, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice Zack Morris cellphone icon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

counter