Monday, December 19, 2005

I am not alone

I had a brief talk with the new addition to the office (Carp) about SAW (super annoying woman) last week. I told Carp of my sorrows many months ago when SAW was first around. The second I revealed I didn’t like her he said “OH my GOD! Thank you! It’ not just me!” She is pulling the same crap on Carp as their cubicle doors are directly across from each other. Every time someone comes up and makes even the briefest attempt at small talk with him she scoots her chair across the aisle and horns in with her monotonous tales of nothing. I told Carp about my prior efforts in trying to make oneself less vulnerable to her leech like tactics, like keeping earphones on at all times. This makes it easer to ignore her when she says something. Once she finally gets your attention act annoyed and keep your answers short as to not encourage more mind numbing anecdotes.

The short answer approach helped me today. Twice today as I was getting off the phone SAW sprung into action through the cubicle wall:

After trying to find an item:

SAW “what cha looking for?”
LOAD “something I can’t find”

The best was a wrong number:

Phone Rings
LOAD “Generic Company, this is Load.”
Fax tone and I hang up.
SAW “I guess nobody loves you”
5-10 seconds later
LOAD “You know? That’s pretty harsh”
Wonderful silence…


I also discovered another ally last week when SAW was on the phone making plans for x-mass dinner or the Klingon new year and was talking so everyone around was unable to ignore it. She was badgering some other female member of her family about the menu and was suggesting alternatives because she “is picky”. (I will address pickiness at another time) I was over talking about something or other to the VP’s assistant while SAW was on the phone. VPassist is an extremely positive person but I noticed VPassist roll her eyes after SAW made an extra loud snort. I said “you know what I love? Hearing people make holiday plans while I am working.” VPassist. Replied “yeah, especially when they are doing it all day long”.

It is sort of a relief to know that I am not alone. That way if the possibility of her being put on full time comes up there might be a rebellion that I could join. But for now I will continue my vigil and hope for a better tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

counter